As bloggers, we need to be aware that everything we write on here can be read by ANYONE. Just as you would be careful as to not say something stupid at work or school, or write something incriminating at work or school, likewise you should do the same with your blog. There are also predators on blogs. Ever watch that To Catch a Predator show? Yeah, well they don’t just hang out on chat rooms looking for 14 year old girls. They move about the Internet and will prey on your medical information, credit history, social security information, and other random things they can use – even your IDENTITY. Remember to stay anonymous. Here follows some tips:
1) Anonymity. Unless you wrote a book that has your name attached to it, go by a pen name. Ok? If you wish to correspond with people outside your blog via email, that is your wish. But never, ever, give your name away on your blog. First names are fine.
2) Never ever give out your address or phone number to people you don’t know. If you want to exchange them with a fellow blogger whom you’ve emailed several times and feel comfortable with, do so at your own risk. But I have actually come across blogs that display this information RIGHT ON THE BLOG! SCARY!!!! Just give them your Visa number while your at it, why don’t ya!
3) Change your blogs password frequently, that will make it less likely to get hacked.
4) Never EVER give out personal information to someone who claims to be a doctor offering medical help. If you wish to seek a second opinion via the Internet there are several sites that will charge a fee and that offer security for your credit card (meaning you enter your credit card and your know it’s not going to some kid in California who’s using it to buy a Jet Ski). Oh, yeah, and you get real medical advice for your buck. 🙂
5) If your blog offers a CAPTCHA option (the box commentors must type the letters and numbers they see before leaving a comment) make sure this is installed. Likewise, turn your comment moderator ON. If you notice a comment from a spammer or a comment heavy with links or links that look suspicious – DELETE it. Virus makers are now targeting social networkers and leaving comments on blogs, Myspace, Twitter, Facebook, etc., that link to a program that will automatically load their virus or malware onto the system of whomever clicks the link. Protect yourself and your readers and click DELETE.
We as bloggers must be careful and take steps to protect ourselves and each other. Let’s keep out blogs safe for our readers!
For more information on why we should protect ourselves please read: